Created by Dr. Margarita Calderón, ExC-ELL (Expediting Reading Comprehension for English Language Learners) was developed through a 5-year study funded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York. ExC-ELL facilitates teachers’ development of skills, confidence, and efficacy in teaching knowledge and skills to ELLs and all students. Our comprehensive program consists of an initial five-day institute and follow-up on-site support.
The ExC-ELL professional development model was developed for elementary classroom teachers, secondary content teachers, and teachers of ESL, bilingual/dual language, sheltered instruction, and SPED.
PD in Spanish
Looking for an ExC-ELL Professional Development experience delivered in Spanish? We also offer ACE-LERA, or Acelerando la comprención en español: Lectura, escritura y razonamiento académico, developed for Dual Language programs.
Students who benefit from ExC-ELL include:
- English Learners / English Language Learners (ELLs or ELs)
- Long-Term ELs (LTELs)
- Highly Schooled Newcomers (HSNs)
- Students with Interrupted Formal Education (SIFE)
- Students in Dual Language Programs
- Special Education ELs (SE-ELs)
- Migrant Students
- Struggling Readers
- Students Reading Below Grade Level
- …and all other students in mainstream classrooms