Created by Dr. Margarita Calderón, ExC-ELL (Expediting Reading Comprehension for English Language Learners) was developed through a 5-year study funded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York. ExC-ELL develops teachers’ skills, confidence, and efficacy in teaching vocabulary, reading, and writing to all students – especially multilingual learners / English learners – in all content areas. Our comprehensive program consists of workshop-style sessions followed by job-embedded coaching and support for teachers, as well as targeted sessions for administrators and coaches, and is currently available face-to-face or virtually.
The ExC-ELL professional development model was developed for:
- elementary classroom teachers
- secondary content teachers
- ESL teachers
- bilingual/dual language teachers
- sheltered instruction teachers
- special education teachers
- school- and district-level administrators & coaches
ExC-ELL Professional Learning
Read more about the ExC-ELL Institutes, or go to our menu of professional learning offerings. If you are ready to speak with someone about ExC-ELL, contact us today!
Students who benefit from ExC-ELL include:
- English Learners / Multilingual Learners (ELs, MLs, or MLLs)
- Long-Term ELs (LTELs)
- Highly Schooled Newcomers (HSNs)
- Students with Interrupted Formal Education (SIFE)
- All students in Dual Language Programs
- Special Education ELs (SE-ELs)
- Migrant students
- Struggling readers
- All students reading below grade level
- …and all other students in mainstream classrooms
PD in Spanish
Looking for an ExC-ELL Professional Development experience delivered in Spanish? We also offer ACE-LERA, or Acelerando la comprención en español: Lectura, escritura y razonamiento académico, developed for Dual Language programs.