Hello ExC-ELLent Educators!
We are happy to introduce ExC-ELL for Tutors!
We are delighted to announce that we are offering ExC-ELL Academies for tutors: retired educators, high school students, college students, retired professionals, anyone who loves students and wants to help them succeed.
We invite schools and school districts to send us your tutors or potential tutors who will be working with English Learners/Emergent Bilinguals/Multilingual Learners to help them enrich their academic language for any subject, and/or their reading comprehension skills, and/or their writing competencies.
The professional learning can be virtual (preferably) or in person, in English or Spanish:
- VIRTUAL: two hours per each course 101 and 201; three hours for course 202.
- IN PERSON (with extra hands-on practice): four hours for 101 and 201: five hours for 202.
COACHING FOR EACH TUTOR AFTER THE PROFESSIONAL LEARNING:
VIRTUAL – 30 minutes per tutor.
GROUP OR INDIVIDUAL SESSIONS: Can be in small groups or one-on-one.
Tutor Prep 101
- How to select words to teach from the student’s text or course work
- How to teach words and phrases
- Using new words in speech/discourse
Tutor Prep 201
- How to do a ‘think aloud’ to model reading strategies
- How to read with a student for fluency and comprehension
- How to ask questions about a passage
Tutor Prep 202 (3 hours)
- How to teach phonemic and phonological awareness
- How to teach beginning decoding
- How to integrate word meaning and word reading
- How to assess for reading difficulties and request help from reading specialist